Those who know me, know I’m not very domestic – I love to entertain but I get pretty lost in the kitchen. Thankfully, Nikki at Cupcakes for Breakfast is helping out today with a to-die-for cupcake recipe! Like her blog, she is SUPER sweet, and I’m a huge fan! I mean seriously, who doesn’t love cupcakes for breakfast, especially on your birthday!
Hi there, my name is Nikki and I blog about desserts and design over at Cupcakes for Breakfast. I love that Liz is celebrating her birthday week with guest posts and I’m so excited to be a part of it. A birthday is not complete with cake, so that’s where I come in! Liz’s favorite colors are blue and green and she loves chocolate (a girl after my own stomach!). I took these fabulous things and created a Tiffany-inspired birthday scene just for her. Because really, diamonds and cupcakes are equally important when celebrating.
When it comes to the cake, I’m all about the flavor. I’d much rather eat a great tasting one than something that’s just for looks. So my advice when setting the scene is to concentrate on the taste and amp up your decor in other ways. Be creative with your colors, add different stand heights, and use accessories from around your home. I made this little garland from post-it notes and topped one cupcake with a sparkly broach. And when in doubt, glitter sprinkles are your best friend.
So with that, I’d like to share my go-to chocolate cake recipe. It’s super easy and always comes out perfect. So you have no excuses! This is a simple cupcake recipe that can be thrown together by anyone, for any celebration. Something definitely to smile about!
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I usually don’t have this, so just add 3/4 tablespoon of lemon juice to that amount of milk and let it sit for 10 minutes)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 cupcake cups with papers.
- Mix all ingredients in one large bowl in order written above. Beat until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (rotating pan half-way through). Let cool. Top with your favorite frosting.
Happy Birthday Liz! Now that I’ve brought the cake, I hope someone else will bring you the diamonds!